This is my great-grandmother Gwen’s recipe. According to my mother, she was one of the best cooks to ever live!
You will need:
- 500 g of butter
- 500 g of sugar
- 500 g of plain flower
- 125 g of self raisin flower
- 1000 g of sultanas
- 300 g of currants/cranberries
- 375 g of seeded raisins
- 200 g of blanched almonds
- 9 eggs
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 table spoons of marmalade
- 1/2 a cup of brandy or sherry
But be warned: this recipe makes 1×26 cm round tin, 12 muffin size (makes a good gift if wrapped in cellophane with a bow, plus 1 log tin.
- Prepare the fruit the previous day
- Blanch and split the almonds
- Grate the orange and lemon rind.
- Place all together in a bowl and pour over lemon juice and brandy
- Completely cover until the next day
- After at least 24 hours beat butter and sugar until creamy
- Add eggs one at a time using a little of the flour (well sifted to prevent curdling.)
- Add fruit and flour alternately.
- Bake at 125 c until cooked in the middle (could be 2 hours for round tin, 40 minutes the muffin size)